Monday, May 7, 2018

The Future


Getting closer to the beginning of college and learning about social work more in depth, I began remembering reasons why I became interested in social work from the start. In my family, there are quite a few people with Autism or ADHD diagnoses, so mental health has been a large part of my family. Seeing the involvement within the community made me interested in a field that involved some of these aspects. As time came, figuring out a college and a major became necessary to do and researching about social work made me realize that it would be something that I would love to do. There are explanations about social work is an interesting major and carer to pursue. Since you will always be on the go, whether it's meeting with a family or other providers, you aren't just sitting at a desk all day everyday. There is always that excitement of something new occurring. Being a social worker also allows you to personally make a change in another's life. Sure, any other job will have you making an impact, but through social work, you get to see the progress someone is making directly. Seeing those you are helping also lets you know what is an issue in society and what should be fixed. For example, their is a major stigma around mental health, and since I work with youth who are affected by it, I can see that they are no different than you and me. This feeling is what made me interested in social work and the desire to be involved and stand for a change. I chose social work so I can help benefit the people and places around me, not myself.