Thursday, January 11, 2018

What Do I Do?


While in supervision with my mentor, Jennifer, I was recommended a book that she believed to be "very beneficial" as a beginner in the social service field. The book covers several topics, separated by chapters, such as "how to conduct the first interview with a child" or "how to assess children for neglect, abuse, or sexual abuse". The author, Susan Lukas, talks about her personal experience in the field as licensed social worker and recommends specific advice on how to deal with those situations. While reading, something that stood out to me was that one should try to ask who, what, when, where, and how rather than simply "why". As someone who will potentially be involved in this career, it seems that asking "why do you feel that way" or "why did he/she do such a thing" seems like a quicker way to fully understand how the person feels and why they are here receiving this assistance. However, as I read along, Lukas explains how it is much more beneficial to avoid those situations where the "client/patient" begins to express their own emotions. Especially in initial meetings, it is better, as a social worker, to first understand what actually happened in the event rather than just their personal reaction to it. After only two chapters, I have already learned so much and believe I will learn so much more.